Saturday, February 15, 2014

Faces #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, and #17 I'm ahead!

After my last post I got stuck on a face, well two faces actually, my Valentines couple. I found a challenging guide picture and started mapping it out, trying to get all the proportions right.
When I started  actually drawing it and putting in details, something just wasn't working, I became obsessed and as a result fell behind on my faces.
I still do not like it, their faces at least have not turned out, but I decided I couldn't work on it anymore, nothing I did made it better and I'm sick of looking at it now lol.

Faces #11 and #12, unfinished in pencil..... I will not post the guide photo because it's that off and I'm unhappy with it, but they were faces made in February so they count...



I was a bit discouraged after  I decided to stop mucking with  faces #11 and #12, not only because I was not satisfied with how they turned out, but also because I was now behind on faces. I decided I wasn't going to map out as detailed of faces, like I had before, and focus on letting my hand and eye create things.

Face #13, in Charcoal, she was lightly mapped out, I at least drew a 'T' to figure out the center line and where her eyes were going.


Face #14 in Charcoal. No mapping, just glancing at the guide photo and letting my hand to the rest.
I really like him, he's even cooler looking in person.

Face #15 was done without a guide photo, I just started drawing, its a lot better than my previous work without a guide, I guess that means I'm improving...

Face #16, I started him and decided I didn't like where he was going and to start again, but he's still a full face, so he counts in my book.

Face #17, in Charcoal, He turned out a lot better than face #16 and I really liked this angle. I will do this one again in the future, except I will map it out a bit so it actually looks like the guide photo (it's Willem Dafoe) 


This weekend isn't super busy for me, so I should be able to take advantage of the free time and get some more faces done... next week is going to be busy....

2 comments:

  1. Very good drawings. It seems sometimes that our drawings have a mind of their own. They simply refuse to resemble the reference photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your work is wonderful. I think you are being too hard on yourself. (Yes. I know we are our own worst critic.)

    ReplyDelete